As the travel industry continues to grow, it is important to recognize the cities of the United States that have seen the most individual growth. With this in mind, travel startup Airbnb announced its list of the Top 10 trending U.S. travel destinations for the summer of 2014.
These top trending destinations were determined by comparing bookings from Labor Day 2013 through April 2014 for travel from Memorial Day through Labor Day 2014 against bookings at the same destinations between Memorial Day and Labor Day last year.
Airbnb’s Top 10 Fastest-Growing U.S. Desinations
1) Nashville – With great points of interest like the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, the Schermerhorn Symphony Center, and Bridgestone Arena, America’s home for country music saw bookings jump 365% over last year.
2) New Orleans – The home of the NFL’s Saints and the NBA’s Pelicans, New Orleans is known for being a jazz music hub, as well as having a tremendous variety of food. Interest in the Big Easy has risen 340% for summer getaways this year.
3) Palm Springs – An area that was once known as being a “winter-only” getaway has transitioned nicely to a year-round destination for all ages. Travelers have the opportunity to experience the San Jacinto Mountains, the Living Desert Zoo Gardens, and the Palm Springs Air Museum. For all of these reasons, and many more, this area has seen a 334% increase in booking over last year.
4) Portland, Maine – Portland has been a premier New England destination for quite some time thanks to historical attractions like the Portland Observatory, the Merrill Auditorium, and Old Port. Recent travel to Portland is up 328% over last year.
5) Santa Barbara – The state of California’s second entry on this list, Santa Barbara, provides travelers with more of a coastal feel than Palm Springs, and also offers history buffs a great destination to explore in Mission Santa Barbara. The city has seen a 320% increase over last year’s booking numbers.
6) Oregon Coast – Golfers, sand-boarders and dune buggy enthusiasts love the Oregon Coast, helping boost its popularity 316% this summer.
7) The Adirondacks – Whether it is the region’s mountains, forests, and wild landscapes, or just finding the right Adirondack chair by the water, New York State’s playground was up 316% in bookings this year over last.
8) Denver – The Mile High city is home to four professional athletic franchises (the Avalanche, Broncos, Nuggets, and Rockies), the Downtown Aquarium, and plenty of museums and other cultural attractions. When a city offers all of this, it should come as no surprise that bookings were up 306% over last year.
9) Coastal Orange County – California’s third and final entry on this list is highlighted by picturesque beaches and an easy living lifestyle. The Orange County region saw bookings increase 306% over last year.
10) Boulder – At the base of the Rocky Mountains, Boulder’s summer bookings are up 291% over last year’s numbers. Colorado’s second entry on this list offers travelers the perfect blend of outdoor mountain beauty with attractions for all ages.